Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Black Lips Tutorial

We got a lovely comment from Nina Sparr yesterday and she was wondering how to create lasting black lips. She was also asking to which occasion to wear black lips. So, I figure I'd do a tutorial on it, for everyone to enjoy! This is the way I do my lips regardless the choice of colour! 

For this you'll need:
Concealer (I used the MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15)
Powder (MadMineral Flash Glow)
Pencils (Illamasqua's Medium Pencil in Cane & the S.O.P.H.I.E Pencil)
Eyeshadow (just a black one from Sleek)
Lipstick (Pristine by Illamasqua)
Gloss (OCC Lip Tar in Tarred)

Let's get started, shall we?!

Start with conceal your lips properly. Then draw  outside the lip contour with Illamasqua's Medium Pencil in Cane. Use your finger or a brush to smudge it in, it should not be too visible just sort of a highlight!

Then add your powder around the entire lips, just to make the pencil set, and also to enhance the highlight effect of the lips 
Draw the contour using the S.O.P.H.I.E Pencil, make sure to be really accurate and get as sharp lines as possible at the outer rim of the lips 

Fill the lips, still using the S.O.P.H.I.E Pencil, the dryer the lips are when you start the better it will stay on. Still a hint of pink, see it?


Continue painting in the lips, almost on the "inner" lip

Take a second look so that everything looks even, I need to touch up in the corners of my lips

Now time for Pristine or the lipstick! Just leave a few millimeters blank at the contour, just to prevent it from bleeding out. 

One does not have to use a lipstick or gloss but just settle with just the pencil, but the lips get really dry from that. Also now would be a good idea to add some black eyeshadow just on top of the contour, or the no lipstick area. When adding the gloss the shadow acts like a shield

Gently add the gloss and same here, leave a few millimeters where the eyeshadow sits 
All done! This will last pretty good, but always bring the pencil and/or the lipstick or gloss just to be able to do a touch up if necessary! Better safe than sorry, right?!

Oh, when wearing the lip tars just remember to wipe of your teeth once in a while, the tars really leaves stains!


Now on to the topic "When to wear black lips"?! I think black lips goes great when one's really pale, especially during winter time. For spring or summer I like to use more vivid colours. Together with a pale pink blush and a more mellow eye make up it's just the icing on the cake! 
Maybe not something I'd wear to a more sophisticated gathering, but for a night out or a shopping tour downtown, absolutely! 

Have you ever had black lips out? 

Hope you all enjoyed this, and please let me know if you've got any questions! 
Phlox

22 comments:

D D said...

OMG! this looks so sexy ... thx for showing how to do ... regards from vienna

Tone-Lise said...

Wow, this is awesome:D

Aoife said...

Oooft, I like it without the gloss and lipstick too, it's like black velvet but I know it would be absolute HELL if wearing it for more than 20 mins!

The Peach said...

That is one bold black lip! Pretty sure I could neve pull off black lips :(

Desert Rose said...

I don't think I'd ever wear black lips but enjoy this kind of posts nevertheless :D

Manuela said...

I'm a new follower! Great black lips^^
http://misslittlesnail.blogspot.com/

CottonCandyINK said...

perfect black lips

would love if you checked out my new blog

www.mommyalldolledup.com

indie said...

Fantastic post!

Sandra said...

"hat a coincidence! I made black lips yesterday to a really black look!

Luna said...

I had black lips in my teenager years :) , but now it's something i never do , but still love it !!!

Pearl Squirrel said...

Great tips :)
I have worn black lipstick out a few times to goth parties, and I would still wear it, if it wasn't so drying and hard to maintain all night. Your lips look really pretty with the gloss on.. I never thought of leaving a little space bare around the edges, so I only used a tiny bit of lipbalm.

Emi at Project Swatch said...

I love black lips! I'll wear them out at night. I just use OCC tarred - I don't do lipliner or anything, I find that it lasts well and doesn't feather on me.

Iridescent Colors said...

Well you certainly can pull off black lips and make them look nice!!! =-)

Fab Fingertips. said...

Oh yes I love this! I cant wear black I'm not pale enough, same with black nail polish but the application process is brilliant!

Jade Carver said...

This is SO GOOD. I have Licorice from Morgana Cryptoria sitting in my makeup drawer. It's extremely opaque and moisturising but I always have such trouble with bleeding/feathering when I wear it. I will try out these tips next time! Thankyou!

sugarbumpkin said...

Hallelujah! This is just what I need! Also, actually possessing a black lipstick on my part would help too. Thank you!

olgiepolgie said...

This looks so hot! Except maybe for that last picture...

prettymom said...

i've never braved into doing full black lips. maybe dark lips, which makes me look paler too!

Makeupobsessions said...

Love this and your tips are awesome!

Antonia-Ivana said...

I always did it similar to your way but next time i'll try it exactly like you since it seems to be a very good way.

www.antoniaivana.blogspot.com

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

Great tip about the concealer around the lips! I HATE when I do my lips a weird colour and there are little bits of pinker skin showing around the edges! ARGH!

artlook4u said...

cool tutorial, must try this one out :) I bought yesterday dark purple lipstick, to experiment a little bit, hehe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...